A long-running East Texas testing facility
Established in 1952, the Soil, Plant and Water Analysis Lab provides the East Texas community with a variety of testing services. Whether you are a commercial rancher interested in optimizing your hay growth or a homeowner on a quest to plant the perfect East Texas lawn, this laboratory can provide you with the information you need.
In addition to providing a valuable service to the community, the Soil, Plant and Water Analysis Lab also functions as a teaching and research facility for SFA faculty and students.
The Soil, Plant and Water Analysis Lab offers the following services and tests:
The lab offers a variety of soil tests:
- The regular soil test determines pH and liming requirement, measures nitrate-nitrogen, and estimates availability of plant macronutrients (phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium and sulfate-sulfur) from Mehlich-3 extracts.
- The complete soil test builds upon the regular test to which it adds DTPA-extractable micronutrients (iron, copper, zinc and manganese).
- The potting media test determines levels of water soluble macronutrients, micronutrients, nitrate-nitrogen, chloride and sulfate from saturated paste extract.
Additional soil tests are available, including soil texture determination, detailed salinity analysis and more.
Download our soil sample information sheet to get started!
The standard analysis is designed primarily for irrigation water. The regular water analysis includes pH, electrical conductivity, alkalinity, chloride, nitrate-nitrogen, and sulfate, and dissolved levels of sodium, calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, and phosphorus.
Download a standard water sample information sheet to get started!
Forage and plant tissue analysis
The lab offers forage testing and non-forage plant tissue analysis:
- The regular soil test determines moisture content, crude protein, acid-detergent fiber and calculates total digestible nutrients. A “protein only” test is also available.
- The complete test builds upon the regular test and offers the total concentration of mineral nutrients (phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sodium, sulfur, iron, manganese, copper, zinc and boron).
- The nitrate and prussic acid analyses are designed for producers concerned about nitrate toxicity or prussic acid poisoning, respectively.
- The non-forage plant tissue analysis determines total nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sodium, sulfur, iron, manganese, copper, zinc and boron.
Download our forage information sheet to get started!
The manure test determines moisture content and the total concentration of mineral plant macro- and micro-nutrients: nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, iron, manganese, copper, and zinc.
Download a standard manure sample information sheet to get started!
Additional testing and pricing
Additional types of testing, such as lime quality analysis are also available through the Soil, Plant and Water Analysis Lab. For more information, contact the lab by calling 936.468.4500 or email email@example.com.
Have questions? Need more info? Want to schedule a tour?
To schedule a tour of the Soil, Plant and Water Analysis Lab, to discuss lectures or presentation opportunities or if you have questions about soil, plant and water testing, please contact Dr. Franta Majs by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 936.468.4390.