Fiscal Year 2023 Budget Requests
The UBC will serve in an advisory capacity to the president with the primary focus to help ensure that the university’s priorities are reflected in the operating budget through coordinated consultation, discussion, education, and outreach to the University community.
Members of the UBC will share a commitment to transparency in fiscal decision-making and serve to inform the university community about operating budget matters. The UBC will facilitate communication regarding the operating budget in a transparent and informative manner with the university community.
The UBC will seek input from the university community about general operating budget matters as a means to inform priority funding recommendations.
The UBC shall review current year forecasts of the operating budget and cash flow throughout the year and longer-range projections at least annually.
In times of operating budget reversions, the council will review and recommend budget reduction plans.
The UBC will work with the university community to establish priority funding recommendations based on the university’s strategic plan.
- Provide oversight of the annual budget preparation process.
- Review the proposed operating budget.
- Participate in the development of the university funding initiatives which are submitted biennially to state agencies in Austin.
- Focus on ensuring university operating and capital budget proposals are balanced and achievable.
- Provide oversight and recommendations regarding the university’s budget policies for sponsored activity, investment pool payout activity, designated funds, and capital campaign funds.
- Meet at least once monthly throughout the academic year.
- Assist in developing quarterly budget dashboards to be shared with campus.
There is an expectation that UBC members will represent the best interests of the university, not advocate for individual units. UBC members are asked to commit to active and engaged participation in the council’s work. The University Budget Council’s work will be presented to the president and cabinet for endorsement followed by submission to the Board of Regents for approval
Subcommittee 1: Communication Team
Communicate with the university community to:
- Ensure the university’s priorities are clearly and accurately expressed to the UBC in order to inform priority funding recommendations.
- Maintain communication with all UBC subcommittees and inform the university community about UBC and UBC subcommittee budget matters.
- Develop and maintain a UBC website for posting the UBC agenda, the dashboard developed by Subcommittee 2, etc.
- Chair: Larry King
- Angela Bacarisse
- Todd Barrios
- Mike Coffee
- Edward Iglesias
- Jason Johnstone
Subcommittee 2: Budget Status Monitoring Team
Review current year forecasts of the operating budget and cash flow throughout the year, and longer-range projections at least annually.
- Develop quarterly dashboards to be used in communicating budget status with the university community.
- Chair: Keith Hubbard
- Erin Bailey
- Janet Jones
- Stephanie Ross
- Jeremy Stovall
- Trey Turner
Subcommittee 3: Budget Development Oversight Team
Provide oversight of the university’s annual budget preparation process, ensuring timely and efficient budget development processes, and the properly informed role of the UBC in budget development.
- Chair: Kim Childs
- Jessica Barrett
- Lesa Beverly
- Chris McKenna
- Rob Meyers
- Kelly Noe
- Megan Weatherly
Subcommittee 4: Biennial Budget Request Development Team
Provide oversight in the biennial funding proposal process for initiatives submitted to the state, ensuring a timely and efficient processes, and the properly informed role of the UBC in biennial budget development.
- Chair: Alisha Collins
- Veronica Beavers
- Rick Berry
- Carrie Charley
- Judi Kruwell
- Barbara Qualls
- Laura Turner
Subcommittee 5: Policy Oversight Team
Provide oversight and recommendations regarding the university’s budget policies for sponsored activity, investment pool payout activity, designated funds, and capital campaign funds. (this still needs some clarification, as requested by the UBC)
- Chair: Leslie Cecil
- Mickey Diez
- Michael Mauer
- Jennifer McCall
- Beverly Morehouse
Plenary UBC Responsibilities
Review the work of all subcommittee reports, aggregating relevant information to make informed budget recommendations which are aligned with university priorities and achieve balanced and achievable operating budgets. This work relates especially to:
- Mid-year reductions in budgets (supported primarily by subcommittees 1 & 2)
- Review of all proposed budgets, including the implementation of any spending cuts or increased expenditures (supported primarily by subcommittees 1 & 3)
- Biennial budget request development (supported primarily by subcommittees 1 & 4)
* When developing reports, processes, and procedures, special consideration should be given to proper documentation in order to provide guidance to new committee members in subsequent years.
University Budget Council Members