Our Safety program offers American Red Cross training and certification courses that prepare you to respond and react in the case of an emergency, including CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers with First Aid, Lifeguarding, Lifeguarding Instructor and Water Safety Instructor. Certification courses are offered year-round, but class size is limited. Visit the Campus Recreation administration office to register.
CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and First Aid
We offer CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers with First Aid courses that train you to respond effectively in emergency situations. You will learn how to provide care for adults, children and infants. This course blends methods of instruction, including an online portion and a face-to-face class with hands-on learning. Those who pass the course will receive a certification that is valid for two years.
You will learn to recognize and provide care for respiratory and cardiac emergencies; use an automated external defibrillator to aid in cardiac emergencies; control severe bleeding; and care for shock, soft tissue, musculoskeletal injuries, sudden illness and heat/cold related emergencies.
$61 for members
$91 for non-members
Courses are held 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturdays. View the 2019-20 schedule below to find a date that works best for you:
|Course Date||Registration Deadline|
|Sept. 14||Sept. 9|
|Oct. 12||Oct. 7|
|Nov. 2||Oct. 28|
|Dec. 7||Dec. 2|
|Feb. 1||Jan. 27|
|March 21||March 18|
|April 4||March 30|
|May 2||April 27|
|June 13||June 8|
|July 11||July 6|
Review course (members only)
Available to Campus Rec members, this review course allows anyone who already holds a CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers with First Aid certification to renew the certification before it expires at the end of a two-year period.
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 9.
Registration deadline: Nov. 4
Learn the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies in the American Red Cross Lifeguard course at SFA. You will also learn how to provide professional-level care until emergency medical services arrive for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses.
- Successfully complete the online Introduction to the Lifeguarding course prior to the pre-course skills session. The pre-course skill session includes a 300-meter swim, brick retrieval and a two-minute tread.
- Obtain all participant materials before entering the first session of the course. Materials consist of the lifeguarding course presentation and/or DVD and the American Red Cross Lifeguarding Manual (print or digital).
$133 for members
$183 for non-members
Courses are held 5 to 10 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday. View the 2019-20 schedule below to find a date that works best for you:
|Course Date||Pre-Course Skills Test||Registration Deadline|
|Sept. 27 to 29||6:30 p.m. Sept. 18||Sept. 16|
|April 17 to 19||6:30 p.m. April 15||April 13|
Become a Lifeguard at SFA!
Participants who successfully earn their lifeguard certification may be eligible for employment at Campus Rec. Visit the Employment Opportunities page for more information.
Become a Red Cross Instructor
CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers Instructor
This course is designed to train instructors to teach the American Red Cross CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and First Aid courses.
- be at least 16 years old on the last day of the class
- and possess a current American Red Cross certification in First Aid, Adult and Pediatric CPR and AED or equivalent certification.
$77 for members
$77 for non-members
Courses are held 5 to 10 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. View the 2019-20 schedule below to find a date that works best for you:
|Course Date||Registration Deadline|
|Oct. 18 and 19||Oct. 14|
|Jan. 24 and 25||Jan. 21|
Take your skills to the next level, and learn how to train instructors to teach American Red Cross Lifeguarding courses, including CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and First Aid.
- be at least 17 years old on or before the final scheduled session of the course
- possess a current certification in Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED
- successfully complete the online Introduction to the Lifeguarding Instructor course prior to the pre-course skills session, which includes a 300-meter swim, brick retrieval and a two-minute tread
- and obtain all participant materials before entering the first session of the course. Materials consist of the lifeguarding course presentation and/or DVD, the American Red Cross Lifeguarding Manual (print or digital) and the American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor’s Manual (print).
$175 for members
$200 for non-members
Two day course:
9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, March 28 and
9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday, March 29
Pre-course skills test: 6:30 p.m. March 18
Registration deadline: March 16